Licensed Practical Nurses pursuing an Associate of Science in Nursing may elect to enroll in the LPN-ASN track. The goal of the track is to facilitate educational mobility from Licensed Practical Nursing to Registered Nurse practice at the associate degree level. In the program, LPN’s will be able to progress with testing to verify previous nursing education. Up to seven hours of nursing credit may be awarded after successful completion of the LPN transition course, NURS 1019 and successful completion of competency testing.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Graduates will utilize clinical judgment and critical thinking within the framework of the nursing process to provide safe, quality, patient-centered care.
- Graduates will evaluate information from knowledge sources to provide safe, quality, patient-centered care.
- Graduates will participate in quality improvement initiatives that improve patient care outcomes.
- Graduates will collaborate with healthcare disciplines to deliver effective nursing care that meets the dynamic healthcare needs of patients.
- Graduates will incorporate professional standards in the delivery of evidence-based nursing practice.
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to prioritize, manage, and delegate safe, quality, patient-centered care.
Approval and Accreditation
The ASN program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400, Atlanta, GA 30326, telephone 404-975-5000, www.acenursing.org, and approved by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing (LSBN), 17373 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70810, telephone 225-755-7500, www.lsbn.state.la.us.
To be eligible for admission, students must meet the criteria presented in Nursing, ASN with the exception of the PAX exam; LPNS are exempt from this requirement. In addition to meeting these criteria, students must also hold an unencumbered LPN license in the State of Louisiana.
Degree Audit Sheet
A fillable degree audit sheet for students and their academic advisors is available here.